What Is Bruxism?
Bruxism is an excessive clenching or grinding of the teeth that is not a part of normal chewing movements. It can lead to extensive wear on the teeth and may cause permanent damage to the teeth and the jaw joints.
Symptoms of Bruxism can include:
• Pain in the teeth and sensitivity to heat and cold
• Chronic muscular facial pain with tension headaches, caused by intense muscle contraction
• Flattened and worn tooth surfaces, which may reveal the underlying yellow or orange dentine layer
• An abnormal alignment of the teeth, caused by uneven tooth wear
• The noise, noticed by partners, friends or relatives, that occurs as the teeth are ground together
Treatment for Bruxism:
Here at M Dental we are able to create what is called an Occlusal Splint. We fabricate a strong plastic device to fit over your upper or lower teeth, to be worn every night. This alleviates the pressure on the teeth caused by clenching, and can halt the progression of symptoms that can cause more complex and damaging problems in the mouth.